Group tasks and exercises are a common assessment center activity. It helps recruiters assess how you would perform at the job position you’re applying for. You need to show communication and problem-solving skills in action and work effectively within a team.
Candidates are usually assessed in groups of 8 to 16 persons and provided with a problem or scenario. The entire team needs to work together to solve the issue. Typical factors assessed in a group exercise include team working ability, leadership potential and influence, social skills and interpersonal skills.
Tips for group tasks or exercises
- Use logical arguments and show strong communication skills.
- You are working in a group, so act as a team.
- Show confidence and commercial awareness.
- Don’t overbear and don’t interrupt others.
- Include your team members and make sure everybody has equal opportunity to speak.
- Make sure the group reaches a conclusion in the time allocated.
Examples of Psychometric test exercises: